Competitive and sustainable battery value chain
- Accelerated discovery of future battery technologies;
- Embedding smart functionalities in cells;
- Testing and validation of next generation future high performing battery concepts;
- Work on promising technologies not involving critical raw materials.
Materials and advanced materials
- Development of high performance anodes;
- Development of high performance cathodes;
- Development of new types of electrolytes;
- Improvement of other components (separators, binders, etc);
- Advancing knowledge of potential battery materials at nano and sub-nano scale.
Non Li-ion batteries for various applications
- Development of batteries for non-automotive applications (including industrial applications and large-scale storage);
- Increasing performance of post-li ion batteries;
- Exploration and further improvement of potential close-to-market technologies.
Material and battery cell manufacturing
- Development of equipment for battery manufacturing;
- New eco-efficient manufacturing techniques;
- Direct recycling and design for recycling concepts;
- Techniques to improve material recovery rates;
- New advanced refining techniques;
- New sorting, handling and recycling concepts, including logistics.
Integration in mobility and stationary storage applications
- Advanced Battery Management Systems for mobility and stationary storage;
- Improving design and performance of battery energy systems;
- Further reduction of costs of battery packs for mobility and stationary storage;
- Enabling optimum use of stationary and EV batteries through interoperability, in complementarity with area Energy systems, grids and storage.
Storage development and integration
- Development, successful operation and integration into the energy system of innovative storage solutions (chemical, electrical, thermal, mechanical) to enable and drive further the succesful penetration of renewable into the energy mix across several sectors (industry, energy, transport, residential, agriculture).
- Zero-emission public transport and active modes (walking and cycling) as backbone of urban mobility;
- New and shared mobility services;
- Inclusive and accessible transport system and public space);
- Innovative urban mobility governance;
- Innovation in logistics to reduce air pollutant and greenhouse gas emissions in goods delivery;
- Vehicle technologies and vehicle propulsion solutions for zero-emission vehicles;
- Integration of Electric Vehicles into the energy system and related charging infrastructure;
- Innovative concepts and services for the zero emission mobility of people and goods.